On January 16, 1997, the Government of Ukraine and the Government of the Russian Federation agreed on a visa-free regime, according to which citizens of the Russian Federation could enter, move around and leave Ukraine on the basis of the following documents in compliance with the rules of stay:
- Internal passport of a citizen of the Russian Federation;
- Foreign passport of a citizen of the Russian Federation;
- Diplomatic or service passport;
- Seaman’s passport in the presence of a ship’s role;
- Flight certificate of an aircraft crew member;
- Birth certificates with the specified citizenship (up to 14 years);
- Certificates of entry or return to the Russian Federation (for return).
- On January 30, 2015, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine adopted a new resolution. On March 1, 2015, Resolution 23 suspended certain provisions of the 1997 agreement. In particular, citizens of the Russian Federation
- have lost the ability to enter, leave, stay, move through the territory, travel in transit or cross the border in any other way on the basis of:
Internal passport of a citizen of the Russian Federation;
Birth certificates with the specified citizenship (up to 14 years).
If the period of stay on the territory of Ukraine does not exceed 90 days, citizens of the Russian Federation must not register with the relevant authorities at the place of stay. But they must have a completed migration card with the mark of the border authorities when entering the territory of the state.
Another condition for entry into Ukraine for citizens of other countries or stateless persons is the availability of appropriate financial security or the opportunity to obtain it legally. This is stated in Article 21 of the Law of Ukraine “On the Legal Status of Foreigners and Stateless Persons”.
The amount of financial security was approved on December 4, 2013 by the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 884. Citizens of the Russian Federation must have a confirmed security of 20 current at the time of crossing the border subsistence minimum per person per month. If the period of stay is not equal to one month, the financial security (FZ) is calculated according to the form:
ФЗ = ((20*Пmin):30)*(КД+5)
That is, 20 subsistence minimums (Pmin) is divided by 30 (average number of days per month) and multiplied by the planned number of days (CD) plus five additional days.
Financial security is confirmed by one of the following certificates:
- Cash in national Ukrainian or convertible foreign currency;
- International payment card with a bank account statement confirming the presence of the specified amount on it;
- Document confirming the possibility of receiving the specified amount in the banks of Ukraine;
- Document confirming the reservation or payment for housing and meals in Ukraine;
- Letter of guarantee-invitation from the host party, which undertakes to pay all expenses of a foreigner or a stateless person during his stay in Ukraine;
- Contract for tourist services;
- Travel ticket in the opposite direction, to the country of residence or third country.
- If you have any questions, you can contact my lawyer Oksana Turkas in Lviv for a free legal consultation.